I have been eating burrito bowls a lot lately. At least once a day I’ll throw one together with whatever we have in the fridge. This one in particular has been my favorite, so I wanted to share it. Here’s how I make this “Better than Chipotle” burrito bowl:
- Brown rice (1 cup cooked)
- Black beans (1/2 cup)
- Frozen kale (3/4 cup)
- Frozen corn (1/4 cup)
- Frozen red peppers, green peppers, and onions (3/4 cup)
- Mild hatch chili hummus (2 tbsp)
- Texas Pete’s hot sauce (this is just what DJ and I have been putting on everything lately)
- Spices (to mix in with the veggies): garlic powder, black pepper, and paprika.
1. First, I made some brown rice according to the instructions on the package. This one had me add 1 cup of dry rice to a pot with 2 cups of water, bring it to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
2. In a pan I defrosted then sautéed the peppers and corn. I didn’t add any oil, just a bit of water when it started to stick. Then I added in the kale, black pepper, and garlic powder and let that cook for a few minutes.
3. While that was cooking I drained and rinsed the black beans. Once the brown rice was done cooking I fluffed it then added in some black pepper.
4. I put everything in a bowl, added a scoop of the hummus, and covered it with hot sauce.
This is perfect for lazy days or days with flareups, since it is an easier, low effort meal that is really tasty and nutritious. Let me know what your favorite combinations for burrito bowls are in the comments.
Adding in chickpeas is really good too: